The School Construction Insurance Pool, Inc. (SCIP) is a non-profit corporation that previously operated an owner controlled insurance program (OCIP) for deficiency funded construction projects through the Arizona School Facilities Board (SFB). Coverages provided were workers’ compensation, general liability, and builder’s risk. Today, SCIP does not provide coverage to members, but continues to provide a quality assurance program. SCIP is also in a stand-by mode, awaiting availability of construction funding on a large scale.
From 2000 to 2006, SCIP offered an Owner Controlled Insurance Program (OCIP) that covered more than 640 projects and included over 2,100 enrolled contractors. The benefits of the OCIP included:
- uniform and customized coverages that reduced problems with subcontractor underinsurance,
- alleviation of claims-related project delays,
- reliable completed operations coverage,
- an enhanced safety program, and
- "one-stop shopping" - a coordinated insurance program with support from the Trust.
From 2010 to 2012, SCIP offered free construction consultation, or quality assurance (QA) services to Trust members. These services include:
- review of contracts to ensure that districts are adequately protected;
- review of general contractor insurance costs to help identify potential savings; and
- loss control and safety support.
Since 2013, the QA program has been operated by the Trust Loss Control Department to streamline services. The current services provided are:
- grading and drainage plan review
- structural plan review
- foundation plan review
If your district has any questions or suggestions regarding SCIP, or is interested in learning more about available construction consultation services, please contact Ryan Cole, loss control manager, at (602) 200-2421 or email@example.com
Board of Directors
|Karin Ward, MEdL, Board President Karin Ward has been the superintendent for Beaver Creek School District in Yavapai County for the past 11 years. Karin received her bachelor of science degree from Arizona State University and her master's degree in educational leadership from Northern Arizona University. She has been an Arizona educator since 1981.|
Jeff Simmons, Board Vice President
Jeff graduated from Arizona State University in May of 1991 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Accounting. He began working in school finance in June of 1995. Jeff has worked at MCESA, Cave Creek Unified, Pendergast Elementary and Tempe Union. He has been at Buckeye Union High School District since November of 2005 where he currently is the Associate Superintendent of Operations.
Lizette Huie, Board Secretary/Treasurer
Lizette Huie is a native Arizonan who currently serves as chief financial officer for Sahuarita Unified School District. Over the past 12 years, Lizette also served the district as executive assistant to the superintendent and as business services coordinator. She received her bachelor of science degree from the University of Phoenix in 2003.
The SCIP board will hold board meetings at 333 East Osborn Road, Suite 100, Phoenix, Arizona 85012 on the following dates and times:
- April 17, 2020: As a precaution to staff, board members, and the public during the COVID-19 pandemic, this meeting will be hosted telephonically. Call-in information will be provided on the agenda 24-hours prior to the meeting.
- October 23, 2020
- Electronically, via the public SCIP website (https://www.svc.the-trust.org/scip), Documents link.
- Physically, on the board room wall at 333 East Osborn Road, Suite 100, Phoenix, AZ 85012. This location is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except legal holidays.
If you are interested in attending, please contact us at (602) 200-2411 or firstname.lastname@example.org.